.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Columns

  • Mud Fence Creations | Conni Delinger

    When I told my daughter I was moving to Iowa, I told her I wanted “blue skies, green grass, and four seasons.” Little did I know that Iowa is capable of doing all four in one month (or even one week!)

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    According to an organization called Southeast Green, which studies these things, the average U.S. citizen uses 57 squares of toilet paper each day. This is 50 pounds per year, a mountain of one-time trees flushed with perfectly good water, and Sheryl Crow must feel terrible.

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    A better-than-average week, the one just past. On Monday, wife got the canning bug and by Wednesday evening had ten pints of beef, twenty pints of venison, twenty of pinto (refried) beans, that many of Great Northern (baked) beans and was starting on rhubarb and strawberry jam.

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    Over an extended period we’ve done three or four columns that made reference to Vivian Fleming Pickens. One article led to another, in part because several readers remember playing with or against her, others commented on seeing her games, or simply relish memories of six-on-six—and a time when there was one girls state champion instead of several, and tiny Emerson went all the way to the final game.

  • Mud Fence Creations | Conni Delinger

    The Vision Council of America estimates that 75 percent of Americans use corrective eyewear of some sort, with sixty-four percent in the form of glasses, either prescription, or simple “cheaters.” If you are among the remaining 25 percent, I envy you.

  • Tytler, Tucker, Kahn and a 720 pound roman candle

    Wife is disgusted by Republicans who moan about tax-and-spend Democrats and campaigned on a promise to rein in spending, then passed a bloated budget that makes Obama look like Scrooge. She asked me to do an editorial. I told her this column quit politics. The last one so dedicated was in November of 2016. In it was stated my inclination to cast a presidential ballot for Tucker, a 12-pound bichon who waited in the car yapping and making nose marks on the windshield while wife and I went into the polling place.

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    Easter, which is on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox, falls this year on April 1. Because of Easter, there probably will not be many April Fools’ pranks, although there seem to be fewer of them anyway.

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    With the approach of Christmas, I called my brother to talk about a memorable holiday dinner from long ago. It featured roast haunch of venison. The guest of honor, though, was not actually venison and the event ended badly.

  • Federal retiree wants COLA in the budget

    To the Editor:

    As a federal retiree who has served our country for years, I am deeply concerned with a provision in the president’s budget which would eliminate cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) for current and future federal retirees. I ask that my Representative and Senators oppose any proposals that would reduce COLAs for federal retirees.

  • The Time Capsule | Roy Marshall

    An occasional worm or bit of smut with an ear of sweet corn is part of a healthy garden. One is a minor annoyance; the other a bonus. My wife does with the worm what our moms did, and grandmas and probably their grandmothers. She takes a paring knife and cuts away the damage.

    This would not be acceptable in a grocery store or at a roadside stand. Customers finding a worm would swoon, call the food police, file lawsuits. Commercial producers have had little choice but to spray with chemicals that kill or repel insects.